Friday, June 10, 2016

Going to the Polls

Published June 8, 2016 in Tulare County's Foothills Sun-Gazette


     Did you make it?  Did you go to the polls to vote?  I wish I’d been there to join you if you did, but that privilege has been taken away from me by the County.  Now I have to vote by mail, as many of you do.  For some people, this is a privilege they choose over taking time from Tuesday.  I miss going to the polls, however.

     Rita Woodard, our Auditor-Controller/Treasurer-Tax Collector/Registrar of Voters since 2007, says she’s only responding to State law when her office determines who votes by mail.  I’ll accept that.  During the 2012 election, the first one I discovered that I’d been relegated to this category (as did hundreds of other Lindsay voters, with much chaos ensuing,) she informed me that voting by mail increases voter turnout.  I think it’s possible that voluntary vote-by-mail balloting does increase voter turnout.  I think it’s also possible that the involuntary sort might actually be responsible for some of these low voter turnout numbers the media has been flashing in our faces this year.

     Did you notice when yours came in the mail last month?  Did you fill it out right away and send it in?  Or did you want to wait until you’d heard the last-minute appeals from candidates to make up your mind?  Because if you decided to wait and take your ballot to the polls (like it says you can in the instructions,) your ballot will not be counted until after the regular ballots are all tallied, weeks after the results have been announced.

     Did you sign it in the right spot on the envelope?  Did you use the same signature that you have on file at the Registrar of Voters office?  Have you checked the website to see whether or not your ballot was counted?  I hope that my signature still resembles the one I filed in 1993,but I haven’t yet checked to see whether the person who examined my envelope thought it does.  All of which is to say that I voted, but don’t yet know whether it counted or not.

     So let me just state outright that I think there’s a lot more room for uncertainty in this shift from going to the polls to voting by mail, and it makes me uncomfortable.  That’s one reason that I miss going to the polls.

     The other reason is the loss of sense of my membership in community, both locally and countrywide.  There’s just something about standing in line with my neighbors that dignifies the act of voting and solidifies my sense of residence here.  There’s something about standing at the little portable booths they set up in the Veterans Memorial Building that reminds me it’s a solemn duty of citizenship in the United States of America and that I have that important right.  That sense of participation is honored when I pass by the names on the building’s entrance of people who have died in multiple wars defending that right. At least I voted.

     And I voted early for a change, not wanting to risk my chance to be counted.  After dropping my ballot in the mail, I attended rallies for the two Democratic candidates for President, and might have changed my mind if it weren’t too late to do so.  That’s the third reason I miss going to the polls.

     Reform of the voting system is heavy on the hearts and minds of our national leaders at the moment.  I hope that won’t include not going to the polls.  I wish there were some way to address my concerns at the local level, however.  Anybody else miss going to the polls?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trudy Wischemann is an agrarian advocate who writes.  Thanks to Bob Welch in Exeter for his comments this week. You can send your nostalgic voting memories c/o P.O. Box 1374, Lindsay CA 93247 or leave a comment below.

 

           

No comments:

Post a Comment