Monday, June 19, 2017

Joy and Wonder

Written for Memorial Day, 2017


     Saturday morning, as we entered the Memorial Day weekend, a passage from a book of Quaker wisdom caught my eye.  It was about joy and wonder, and it helped me prepare for the ceremonies ahead.
           
     Memorial Day is not my favorite holiday.  Like so many others, its conversion to a celebration of American consumption patterns, away from its true purpose, irks me.  But its true purpose is also a challenge. I have yet to learn to honor my war dead, which includes the brother born 17 months behind me, the curly redhead second child, the first son.  The twenty-one years he spent on this planet made my life both complicated and complete.  His departure ended all grievances I might have held against him, but, more than I knew at the time, it left me alone.
           
     His death was the result of some poor choices he made, including getting his girlfriend pregnant.  But the daughter that was born to him and the girlfriend who’d become his wife, made him a proud father for more than a year.  The sight of that baby tucked into his arm like a prize is one I’ll never forget.           
    
     His death in Viet Nam was like a hand grenade thrown into the family’s center.  I had already left for college and marriage, starting my adult life.  He’d left for basic training and the opportunity to fly in helicopters. We two older ones left behind a younger brother, sister, and two parents whose marriage was wearing thin.  Less than two years after he died that household had split in two, the younger kids dangling separately from the edges.  You might think the passage of 45 years would erase or soften that memory, but it has not.
           
     Despite his premature death, my brother is the only one of us to carry the family into the future.  That baby, my niece, has gone on to make two babies of her own; her firstborn daughter has made my niece a grandmother twice.  It’s a story many families have, but it’s one I’ve somehow ignored until recently when my niece began actively introducing her beautiful family into the ragged remnants of her father’s tribe.
           
     It was my amazing niece who came to mind when I read this passage from Plain Living:  A Quaker Path to Simplicity (2001), a book I still read daily: 

     “Something seen, something heard, something felt, flashes upon one with a bright freshness, and the heart, tired or sick or sad or merely indifferent, stirs and lifts in answer.  Different things do it for different people, but the result is the same:  that fleeting instant when we lose ourselves in joy and wonder.  It is minor because it is slight and so soon gone; it is an ecstasy because there is an impersonal quality in the vivid thrust of happiness we feel, and because the stir lingers in the memory.”  Elizabeth Gray Vining, 1942
           
     Joy and wonder.  I had that those fleeting instants while watching my niece weave the two halves of her family together.  I saw that her way of being in the world, which is so like my brother’s and yet is her own, is the one intimate experience I have of the eternal, and of grace.
    
     I offer this story in case anyone else suffers on Memorial Day.  Press on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trudy Wischemann is a not-so-gifted writer who has much to be grateful for.  You can send your Memorial Day thoughts to her c/o P.O. Box 1374, Lindsay CA 93247.  Thanks to Joe Mohnike for his war stories this week, and for coming back alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment