Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Dead Snakes

Published in edited form May 24, 2017 in Tulare County's Foothills Sun-Gazette


     “The only good snake is a dead snake,” my aunt used to say, followed by a predictable shudder.  She admitted they had their purpose, that they were good for the world – what I would later be taught in environmental studies was their niche in the ecology of a particular place. “I just don’t want to see them,” she’d explain.
           
     My aunt was the closest thing to a naturalist I would encounter until my late 20’s when I returned to college.  She taught me the names of flowers and mosses in her woods, fish and insects in her creek, birds in her orchard.  From her I learned respect and love for the wild things, even when they came up on the porch.  I never saw her kill a snake: she just jumped away.
           
     This past weekend I saw two dead snakes along the road.  Both appeared to have been run over, although I didn’t stop to examine their carcasses.  Both glistened, as snakes do when they’ve just shed their skins, reminding me of a time I nearly stepped on one sleeping in the grass.  “Good thing you didn’t,” said a naturalist friend who knows.  “They’re can’t see as well  when they’ve just shed, and their vulnerability makes them quicker to bite.”  The snake was golden, beautiful even though frightening.  I’m still grateful I saw it.
           
     My fear of snakes, which is natural, was heightened by growing up on 1950’s western movies, where snakes and Indians were the villains who made the cowboys look heroic.  I had rattlesnake nightmares throughout my youth and still remember one vividly when I was 6.  It was about a Christmas tree “decorated” with them, which I did not discover until I reached for a present below its boughs.  I woke up screaming, standing in the middle of my bed.  In my late 20’s I worked hard to unlearn that accentuated fear, but it wasn’t until I moved here, where rattlers are part of daily life in the foothills, that I adjusted.
           
     So when I saw those two dead snakes last week, I hurt.  Most likely they were just gopher snakes, since I was west of the Friant-Kern Canal.  Regardless of species, snakes are natural predators of ground squirrels, which plague our groves and growers.  Each snake death eliminates a harvester we need for balance, which is a form of beauty as well as necessary for our long-term survival.
           
     Were their deaths accidental, or the result of some driver’s intention?  I asked myself that question without realizing its importance until a friend spoke the same question when I told him about my sightings.  He then told me about stopping to herd a snake off the road himself, reminding me of other friends with the same proclivity.  I’ve stopped to herd stray cattle off the road, but when I watched a friend move a tarantula from the path of cars, I was humbled.

     Snakes are better alive than dead, friends.  They don’t threaten our existence until we threaten theirs, so when we can avoid killing them, let’s do.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trudy Wischemann is a fearful eco-freak who lives west of the canal for a reason.  You can send her your snake stories c/o P.O. Box 1374, Lindsay CA 93247 or visit www.trudysnotesfromhome.blogspot.com and leave a comment there.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment