Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Here Today

Published April 26, 2017 in Tulare County's Foothills Sun-Gazette


     There’s a scar healing slowly above my left ankle that I hope will remain.  It’s the gash made by a cat I loved, John Coffey, when he got so excited by my attentions that passion overtook him.
           
     It was his last gash, as it turns out.  About a week later, as I was trying to wipe his nostrils free of mucous, he inexplicably died in my hands.  One moment he was here, the next moment he was gone.           
    
     Between those two moments, my concern for him turned to grief for myself as I was flooded by the love I’d felt for him the past 6 years.  So dear, that cat; so important, our relationship. Gone.  In shock, I buried him, then went wobbly on.
           
     That shift in perspective, from busy-ness to dead still, is what many must have experienced in Fresno this past week as the news spread of the mad man’s shooting spree.  Certainly the victims’ families and friends did:  he was just here this morning, talking about his new job, what we’d have for dinner with the groceries from Catholic Charities, once we get this check in the bank, we’re goin’ for coffee, friend, you and I.  The next moment he’s on the ground bleeding to death or on the way to the ER and there’s a phone call that suddenly makes nothing else important.  For a moment, there’s nothing else.  Nothing.
           
     I got a phone call like that once.  I was a young wife baking cookies for TrickerTreaters while my husband attended a night class for his speech therapist certification.  The phone rang, my mom said “Sit down,” and the rest of the world sliced away as she told me of my brother’s death.  That was forty-five years ago, and I can still feel the shift.
           
     It would turn out to be a turning point for me, once I recovered from grinding to a halt.  The loss both catapulted me forward and dragged me back, over and over, but from that point onward there was no real return to what I had envisioned as a normal life.  I think now that was good, though I try not to be arrogant toward people with normal lives.  Everybody’s got their own row to hoe.
           
     If there is anything good to glean from those senseless tragedies in Fresno (and there were many other deaths in Fresno reported that day – an older woman who’d left her walker behind to eat her nachos on the tracks, in the dark, by herself, run over by a southbound Amtrak train, despite the warning horn and lights – what’s more senseless than that?)  it’s the miracle that we’re still here.  Life is so incredibly fragile, and yet we’re still here, friend, you and I, still breathing.  Still thinking there might be something to accomplish or enjoy in these minutes we appear to have today.
           
     Peace.  Breathe in the day.
--------------------------------------------------------
Trudy Wischemann is a reluctant activist who writes.  Thanks to whoever left John Coffey on my porch as a kitten.  Send your sympathy/recovery thoughts c/o P.O. Box 1374, Lindsay CA 93247 or  leave a comment below.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment