Saturday, December 9, 2017

At the Table



Published Nov. 29, 2017 in Tulare County's Foothills Sun-Gazette
           
     Visiting my family for Thanksgiving, we spent many hours at the table this past weekend.  Only a few hours were spent eating.  The table is a place to lay out conversation as well as food.  With both of my parents’ hearing on the wane, the table makes it easier to get ideas across, keeps the words from falling to the floor and being absorbed by the carpet.
           
     At my mother’s table I learned some new things about my grandfather and, accidentally, the geography of her home place.  She spoke of standing next to her dad with her hands in the back pockets of her overalls, mimicking his stance, watching trains come and go from the nearby station.  She asked him once why there were two steam engines groaning in unison on trains headed south.  “That’s to get them over Newaukum Hill,” he answered.
           
     I’d never heard that place name before, though I visited that territory frequently most of my childhood.  So when I got home I went to Google Maps.  There, amidst names I’ve heard for almost seven decades, names like Adna and Littel, Claquato and Napavine, southwest of Chehalis, there was the red balloon stuck on Newaukum Hill, elevation 404 feet.
           
     She also told about her father taking her to see the elephants raise the tents when the circus came to town.  He woke her about 3 a.m. and they went there together to see the feat, which occurred annually on a field next to the station.  My brother and I played together on that field, but I’d never heard about the elephants or the circus setting up there – not until we sat at her table 1000 miles and 85 years beyond that memory.
           
     Not long after that story my mother produced a photograph of her mother holding my younger cousin Teri.  I never met Mom’s mother, their bad relationship keeping them two states apart.  I saw portions of my aunts’ faces in hers, finally placing us within the missing side of the family tree.
           
     At my father’s table the next day, a lot of loose ends were laid out for reweaving.  Some of them have become too frayed for inclusion, but I learned some facts about his father’s time in the Revenue Cutter Service through a story about the recent discovery of one of its ships.  As the story trailed off, Dad said “Now I think I know why Dad and my brother Bill could never get along.  Bill (the first born,) came too soon and robbed my dad of the sea.”  Dad once lamented similarly about my own arrival.  I guess the Wischemann men didn’t know much about timing.
           
     When I’m at my parents’ tables, I have to do a lot of silent forgiving – for inconsistencies, for moral slips produced by their dates of birth, for mangled facts as time works its magic on their memories.  Once in a while, though, the appearance of a new truth absolves them and time both.  May you all be digesting your table scraps and being nourished by them.  Onward – Christmas is calling.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trudy Wischemann is a story gleaner who writes.  You can send her your favorite table scraps c/o P.O. Box 1374, Lindsay CA 93247 or leave a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment