Sunday, August 27, 2017

Saving Towns

Published August 9, 2017 in Tulare County's Foothills Sun-Gazette


     “How was your sermon?” a friend asked Sunday afternoon.  I forgot that I wrote about it last week, but was pleased she remembered.
     
      “It went well,” I said.  “The people were beautiful.  They sang along with me and listened to every word.  I felt so encouraged by their responses….”  My friend grinned, hugged me with congratulations, and went on with her day.

     It was only after I got home that I realized why I felt so heartened.  “There might be some hope for our towns yet,” I thought, an epiphany about the sermon’s true purpose.
           
     For years I have described myself as a small-farm advocate.  The substance of the Gospel According to John Pitney is that the church has a right and a responsibility to care about the structure of agriculture and be involved in making it more sustainable and just.  This is true in California especially, since we lead the country in mega-farms and the requisite “innovations.”  Some of those innovations make it possible to feed more people from land that would normally feed only jackrabbits and rattlesnakes.  Some of those innovations steal markets from other regions where water is less scarce and climate less accommodating, however.

     Some of those innovations also steal jobs, livelihoods, even whole industries.  And where the damage is felt first, second and third is in our rural towns.
           
     I didn’t speak Sunday about my fears for our citrus belt towns.  I sense an earthquake coming as I watch farmhouses disappear and groves of navels being pushed and replanted to mandarins destined for the mega-packing facilities in Kern County.  As these farms are consolidated, the lands surrounding our towns are tended by mobile crews who move from parcel to parcel with no one supervising the work or being there to watch the results.  Fewer acres are being tended by people who live there year after year and know the wet spots, the cold spots, the average crop, the normal bug population or how things are varying this year from last.

     Then there’s the ongoing mechanization of the packinghouses, which is eliminating 75%- 90% of the jobs at each one.  In the past, the availability of winter work in citrus packing has made it possible for the laboring population to move up occupationally and become permanent residents, keeping their kids in school and becoming citizens.  What will towns like Lindsay do when they’re no longer incubators for immigrant stabilization and progress?  Lindsay’s city fathers and mothers bemoan the loss of our middle class, but it’s the working people who have kept us afloat so far.  When they leave, we’ll look more like empty Dust Bowl towns than orange-growing communities.

     Most of our town governments do not see the connection between agriculture and Main Street.  That’s unfortunate, but one role the people of faith could adopt is to bring these realities to their attention.  I look forward to singing and speaking more with you in the future.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trudy Wischemann is a small farm/town advocate who writes.  You can send her your connectional thoughts c/o P.O. Box 1374, Lindsay CA 93247 or leave a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment