Monday, July 24, 2017

pink glasses

Published in slightly edited form July 19, 2017 in Tulare County's Foothills Sun-Gazette


     There’s a commercial on television these days that I find particularly offensive.  It’s from the world of big-box optometry, and features an aggressive man dressed in a pink leotard and tutu mocking a ballerina, who lands in the middle of a middle-class living room and proceeds to ridicule a woman for wearing pink glasses. 
           
     In the living room, some women are discussing a book they are reading.  The condemned woman is trying to share her views on the book when she is rudely interrupted by the intrusive man (unfortunately not an unusual event in women’s lives.)
           
     He claims these other women can’t possibly take her ideas seriously because she’s wearing these pink glasses that SCREAM ---- and he doesn’t even have to explain why or what the glasses scream.  He simply has to claim that they do – and everything stops.
           
     Forget that the man looks ridiculous, and clearly has no room to point fingers.  What lacerates me is the reminder of the double-bind of femininity:  damned if you do, damned if you don’t.  But there’s a class message here, too, and that one brings me out to bat.
           
     The commercial is really aimed at those of us who think buying cheap reading glasses is an adequate solution to the problem of increasing fuzziness on the page.  They’re trying to convince us that we don’t have to take this embarrassing route.  For only $69 we, too, can have real glasses that SPEAK of economic well-being equivalent to people with health plans that include eye care, not scream our insurance-less bargain-basement survival strategies.
           
     Of course, if you’re paying good money for glasses, you’re not going to choose pink frames.  You’ll choose the standard silver or gold metal, or faux horn-rimmed, all of which imply a certain class or intellectual capability.  Those rims certainly will not distract anyone from anything.  They’ll make you fit right in.
           
     I remember when I bought my first pink glasses from Dollar Tree.  I already had several pairs of cheap readers in standard colors and shapes, the kind you’d wear in the presence of other people.  Then I found a pair of colorful paint-splattered white ones.  I wore them when I worked at RN Market, and people complimented them all the time.  When those broke, I replaced them with a plum-colored pair from Rite-Aid, since I had a little cash and they were on sale.  The compliments stopped, but I wore them anyway because they stayed on my head.
           
     But when I found the pink pair, and put them on my face, I felt just a little bit more feminine.  That’s a difficult place for me to stand some days because of cultural sentiments like the one in this commercial, but the glasses helped.
           
     I now have several pair.  Mostly I’ve worn them at home, but those days are over.  From now on you’ll see me in public with pink glasses perched on the top of my head if not on my face.  Take that, you wolf in women’s clothing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trudy Wischemann is an aging reader who writes in Lindsay.  You can send your views on rim colors to her c/o P.O. Box 1374, Lindsay CA 92347 or visit leave a comment below.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment