Thursday, February 2, 2017

Mixed Media

Published Feb. 1, 2017 in Tulare County's Foothills Sun-Gazette


     Watching, listening and reading the news this past week has been like attending a mental gymkhana.  What with executive orders coming out of the White House like arrows at Little Big Horn, keeping up with the news has meant using all the media at hand, not just one or two favorites.
           
     It’s meant adding the commentators to the  mix, too, reading the opinion writers as well as more traditional journalists whose reports are required to be as objective as humanly possible (which turns out to be more humanly difficult than we once thought.)  The editorial cartoons and comic strips have contributed focus for me, while the wordsmiths and photographers have added depth and breadth.  Valley Public Radio has provided grains of truth to chew through the day, while MSN’s Breaking News banners have alerted me to new twists and turns, frequently diverting me from my day’s purpose.           

     But Sunday’s Bee caused a temporary meltdown, primarily the page where Mas Masumoto topped Victor Davis Hanson.  Both Valley boys born on Fresno County’s fertile farm soil, one with orchards, the other with vines, their words mean a lot to me even when I don’t agree. Sometimes Mas is too bucolic for me, while reading VDH is always like wrestling a prickly pear:  a lot of thorns have to be removed afterward.          

     Unfortunately, their two contributions Sunday, at opposite ends of the playing field, seemed both right and simultaneously futile.   I left the scene of the crime – the paper-strewn breakfast table – and went to the sink to clean up my mind as well as the dishes.  There, with my hands in the warm water, I remembered my friend Andrea in Merced, who is an artist.  My distressed mind began to relax.       

     Andrea paints still lifes and landscapes, and also writes poetry, but her primary form of artistic contribution is something she calls “mixed media.”  In form, it is a combination of drawing, cutting and pasting, then copying the whole shebang and coloring portions to shade and shape the message.  That’s the form, the style.  But the content, the message she’s bringing home relentlessly and without fail, is how she weaves together the complex, and often conflicting, fragments of her life, how her heart makes sense of the world.
           
     It’s a constant struggle, making sense of her world and ours.  Since having her own personal meltdown in late 1999, when her brain inflamed and a virus stole most of what her verbal center had learned over 50-some years, she’s questioned both God’s lovingkindness and her own ability to tolerate living repeatedly.  Yet her struggle benefits her, makes her stronger every time she wrestles that angel to the ground.  Perhaps as a reward for struggling, she gets more glimpses of beauty than many of us, and then she puts those glimpses on paper for us to see.  In a way, she’s teaching us survival skills.
           
     Art also teaches us how to proceed even in the dark, when the mind can’t make sense of the world around it.  Still restless after my stint at the sink Sunday, I turned to my book of Quaker writings, which opened to a poem written by a girl before her adulthood arrived.  Under the title “Madras Airport,” Mira McCelland wrote in 1998:

My heart is beating fast.
Landing,
there is the smell of heat;beggars enclose me.
They don’t say a word, but
their eyes are screaming,
“Help me, help me!” 

I am ten years old;
I want to help them but
I can’t.
I don’t say a word,
but with my eyes I say,
“I’m coming,
I’m coming.”

Mira’s ten-year-old bravery helps me every time I read her words.

            Art is another form of truthtelling, and a process of working out new understandings, new solutions.  These weeks ahead do not promise to sort themselves out, much less the months and years.  Sorting is our job, and maybe in this current upheaval, we have a new opportunity to participate.  Onward, friends.  Tell them we’re coming. 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trudy Wischemann is in the final editing stages of her book on agriculture and the common good.  You can send her your mixed-up responses to this new regime c/o P.O. Box 1374, Lindsay CA 93247, but don’t expect a response anytime soon.  You can also leave a comment below.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment