Friday, October 30, 2015

Writing the Truth

Published Oct. 28, 2015 in Tulare County's Foothills Sun-Gazette


     I don’t know how many of you imagine seeing your words, your thoughts, or even an image of yourself in the newspaper, but there are days when I find that prospect daunting.  

            Take this week for example.  If I ramble on about the beauties of waiting for TrickerTreaters at my door, will that enflame the Anti-Halloweeners?  If I remind readers that 4 months ago, Lindsay City Finance Director Tamara Laken promised to retire in August of this year and that, chances are, her re-announced retirement come January (reported in last week’s edition) is yet another step in a plan preconceived by the Insiders last spring to merge the city manager and finance director positions, will you throw up your hands in disgust, thinking all I ever do is complain?

            For eight years now I have tried to use this column (and its predecessor, “HomePages”) to present pieces of the truth about our lives in this region that were not readily available elsewhere.  Finding words for these pieces has been a challenge and a gift.  Every time I think otherwise, someone will stop me in line at RN Market or in the aisles of Rite Aid and say “I read your piece in the paper last week.”  Sometimes people even thank me.  I have never been accosted, not even in True Value Hardware.

            Because I don’t just report facts but also evaluate them and the meaning they might have for our community and our region, my writing falls under the category of “editorial,” or “opinion.”  I am grateful to have a place in that category, hopefully one that helps enlarge the truth in the facts found elsewhere on these pages.  

            It’s true that some opinion finds its way into the news reporting of this paper where it might not belong.  But this is a small town newspaper serving many small towns, and praise is just danged hard to come by anywhere else.  Hopefully we know each other well enough to know when someone’s glamorizing the facts with their own point of view, and take it with a grain of salt.  That’s what life here’s all about.

            The question I have for you, dear readers, is this:  What are we to do with the truth when we think we’ve read it?  I face this question constantly when I read others’ words on the printed page, whether those be Katha Pollitt’s in The Nation or Jim Hightower’s LowDown.  Would it be a good idea to witness the monthly County Board of Supervisors’ meetings or attend the Planning Commission hearings, become an alternate for TCAG?  Respond to the Tulare County Citizens for Responsible Growth many email alerts?  Write letters to the editors?

            I think everybody’s got to find their own answer to that question.  My only hope in writing the truth as best I possibly can is that the truth be read and understood as best it possibly can.  From there, the truth becomes community property and community responsibility.  My job is done, and our job begins.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trudy Wischemann is a rural advocate who writes.  You can send her your truths c/o P.O. Box 1374, Lindsay CA 93247 or leave a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment