Thursday, July 9, 2015

Triple Crown



Published June 10, 2015 in Tulare County's Foothills Sun-Gazette

            I didn’t get to see the Belmont Saturday, but I cheered when I heard the winner.  I’ve watched that race on TV many times in my life, hoping to see it won by a horse who’d also taken the Derby and the Preakness.  I’ve always been disappointed, but understandably.  In my girlhood I learned from reading Walter Farley novels that it takes a horse of giant magnitude ridden by a jockey of enormous sensitivity to win on the medium, short and long hauls of racing.  In witnessing this triumph, everyone wins.

            We’ve had a sort of Triple Crown victory in Lindsay this last week.  For everyone who thought it was a bad idea for the community, appointing Rich Wilkinson as interim city manager to the vacancy left by Scot Townsend four and a half years ago, Rich’s sudden, sure departure was a great relief.  For those of us who were jerked into action four years ago by his permanent appointment to that position, compounded by remaining chief of public safety and the outrageous terms of his contract, his severance agreement is small, but real, vindication.

            But the real victory is that the three newest city council members have survived, integrity intact.  They survived despite refusing to give that spoiled baby everything it wanted, despite doing their jobs which, according to him, made his working conditions unendurable. With grace, humor and sheer conviction that the community’s interests were not being served, they held their ground.  Despite being convicted of conspiracy in the media and in the council chambers by those outraged at having the mythic status quo challenged, they held the rail.  On Wednesday, June 3rd, with Rich Wilkinson’s name no longer on the door, their noses crossed the finish line first, with Danny and Pam ‘way back in the pack.

            I didn’t see that finish, either - at first.  I was focused on the form of Rich’s departure, not the content.  I saw the slime-bag strategy, the horrendous self-interest masked as injury, the offense constructed to cover the indefensible defense.  In my eyes, it was ugly.  In my eyes, it was yet another instance of the way it’s always been continuing into the foreseeable future, never changing.  I protested the special meeting where it happened on that basis.  I was defeated in spirit when it was over, bad-spiritedness appearing to win over the public interest once again.

            But Ramona, our beautiful Mayor Padilla, provided a sentence that eventually allowed me to see the bigger picture.  “Sometimes you have to cut off the hand to save the arm,” she told me after the meeting.  At first I didn’t understand who’s hand, who’s arm.  With the apparent effectiveness of Rich’s strategy screaming in my head, I felt amputated.  In my eyes we paid him ‘way too much to be here, to create unholy relations inside city hall and out, and now they were giving him the public’s money to leave, en route to a new home in Missouri and, rumor has it, a new job.  I felt like sending Missouri a sympathy card as well as an apology.

            Ramona saw the value and the necessity of getting this situation changed, value beyond money.  The arm in her metaphor is the community.  With these three council members still in their seats, there is now hope for a real change: representation of this community’s majority, not its small minority.  Witnessing this triumph of democracy, everyone wins.  Everyone.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trudy Wischemann is a horse lover who writes.  You can send her your exciting race stories c/o P.O. Box 1374, Lindsay CA 93247 or leave a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment