Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Clean Jars

Published March 25, 2015 in Tulare County's Foothills Sun-Gazette


     “You were spoiled,” a friend at church kindly chided me after reading last week’s column.  I was raised with running water and indoor plumbing; neither he nor his wife was.  I loved hearing their stories of different times and places.  I kindly did not ask if they would go back to living that way.

     But their generation’s lifeways are not the only ones being left behind in the sweep of industrial history.  Mine are, too, something I discovered in a long, luxurious evening phone call with a friend (which itself was impossible when my mother was raising her family.)
           
     We were talking about reducing the clutter in our lives.  She had spent Sunday going through her collection of magazines.  They had been sitting behind her couch in boxes and bags since she moved seven years ago.  Recently retired, she found herself with a new job:  what to do with her archive of New Yorkers and college alumni magazines?  I loved hearing the gentleness she applied to both her magazines and herself.  There was no condemnation for having kept these things, which I hear from so many of my other friends at this stage in our lives.
           
     But then she surprised me.  We moved on to her collection of empty jars, which I also have in abundance.  “You know, some of them are canning jars, which are good forever.  But there’s also the perfectly good jars from pickles and things, which I save.  I finally put them into the dishwasher for one last time, each one with its lid.  Then I bagged them up and took them down to Goodwill.”  My heart took a lurch for her gentle soul, knowing what was coming.           

     “I handed this man my bags, and he said ‘What’s this?’  ‘Clean jars with lids,’ I told him.  He just looked at me weird, then said ‘Recycle them.’”  We let the silence between us speak for itself a moment.
           
     Clean jars with lids.  I know that phrase from my childhood.  We save them to hold collections of screws and nails (short, medium, long;) thumbtacks, hooks and eyes, still-good zippers ripped out of old dresses or the last half of the batch of tartar sauce we made but didn’t eat.  We save them because they’re still good for a lot of things, and because it took energy to manufacture them that will be wasted if they get smashed up in the recycling process.  We save them to hold small batches of jam we might make this summer or olives we might cure this fall.  We save them because they still have value, even if no one would buy them, not even at a thrift store.
           
     My sewing machine jammed when I tried to fix a dog collar last week.  One look at the yellow pages told me sewing machine repairmen are almost extinct.  When I asked the women at church if they knew of a good one, they said “Who sews?”  I thought of my shelves of fabric, the boxes of patterns and notions I have saved, and realized I have neglected some of the most basic living skills I learned to survive. 
           
     I think I’ll call my friend and tell her what our golden years are for:  reviving those survival skills, not casting them off for greater dependence on what the corporations want to provide.  As a society, we might need those skills someday.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trudy Wischemann is a crocheter who writes.  You can send her your list of almost dead survival skills c/o P.O. Box 1374, Lindsay CA 93247 or leave a comment below.


 


 


 


 


           

No comments:

Post a Comment