Friday, May 23, 2014

Pavlov's Cat

Published May 21, 2014 in Tulare County's Foothills Sun-Gazette


     I’ve been wanting to write this piece for some time, mostly about my cat Angel Leon.  But the story from Bakersfield last week about the cat who attacked the dog who was attacking her little boy – that story brought my thoughts into greater focus.
      Her name is Tara.  I forget the family’s name as well as the little boy’s, and who knows what the dog’s name was.  We can sympathize with both families, for the dog is likely history now.  In the video we saw the neighbor’s dog appear nonchalantly from behind the car parked in the driveway, where the 4-year-old boy was unskillfully riding his bicycle.  Suddenly the dog grabbed his leg and began shaking him like a rat.  Within 2 or 3 seconds the cat streaked through the frame, hitting the dog like a rocket, which sent the dog running instantly.  The cat chased the dog around the car before giving up.
       People who haven’t lived with cats and dogs together were astounded the cat was so brave.  I’ve had both, and know my black lab mix was never a match for my calico Siamese.  Everyone, including me, gave her wide berth, especially when it was hot.  I named her Heather for her soft-colored coat, not remembering it’s a fairly prickly shrub.  The name was perfect.
       What astounded me, watching the video several times, is how quickly Tara responded.  Was she watching from the bushes near the porch?  Or was it simply hearing her little boy’s cries and the dog’s growling?  She was there before his mother by 5 or 10 seconds, fast enough to limit his wounds to stitches, not reconstructive surgery.  The dog never knew what hit him.
       My story about Angel Leon is sorta the flip side of Tara’s.  AL got the tip of his tail caught in the backside of a fan last June 4th and thought something had attacked him.  For the next 6 months, every time his damaged tail nerves twinged, he attacked with ferocity and soon got a taste for his own blood.  Trying to keep him from cannibalizing himself took everything I had and a little more, with copious help and support from everyone at Lindsay Vet Clinic.  Finally his nerves healed and now he’s his normal angelic, regal lion-like self.  But during those long 6 months I saw the carnivore roots of my domestic felines like I’d never seen before.
       Our metaphor of “Pavlov’s dog” has become a way of saying something is stupid, easily trained to slobber at the sound of a bell.  Pavlov’s experiment was actually more profound than that, understanding the strength of natural instincts in response to their environment, something we could benefit from understanding ourselves.  In the case of Angel Leon, all the love I felt and doctoring tricks I’ve learned, in conjunction with Jamie Wilson’s surgical skills and drug treatments, could not convince that cat his instincts were wrong.  It took time and healing and constant surveillance – and finally it took ignoring the problem to make it go away.
       In Tara’s case, her instincts were right, shaped by the love in her household as well as the hands that feed her.  What shocks me most about the story is that people were so surprised.  Protective love is not a purely human emotion.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trudy Wischemann is an animal lover who writes.  You can send her your heroic pet stories c/o P.O. Box 1374, Lindsay CA 93247 or leave a comment below.


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment