Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Green Heron....


Last spring I heard a strange, new bird call from high in my Chinese elms.  It took an hour of straining my neck looking upward to finally locate the bird, then it flew away before I could really see its markings.  After repeating that process a few more mornings, though, I finally was able to identify it as a green heron.


Green herons are much smaller than their Great Blue cousins, only about the size of a big crow, but with longer, slimmer necks and legs.  Its call is sortof opposite a bluejay’s “weent?” that goes up at the end --  my Guide to North American Birds describes it as a “kew” that starts high and descends in pitch.  


The most important thing to know about green herons, however, is that they really don’t like to be seen, much less watched.  If one sees you looking at it, it will move instantly out of sight - which is why it takes so long to actually get a good look at the bird, with or without binoculars.


The bird (or birds) is/are back this year, and I’m thrilled.  When I heard the “kew” a few mornings ago, I went out to look, being very quiet.  One evening I heard a different sound, something more like a cat growling in pain, and discovered it was coming from a green heron.  “Maybe a mating call,” I thought, stretching my neck ‘way back to get a glimpse.  For a moment we were eye to eye, then it moved out of view.


I’ve discovered I actually love that part of this bird.  It’s helped me identify that tendency in myself and come to respect it.  I think a lot of us have a streak of green heron in us, which comes down to a desire to just live our lives and be left in peace to do so.  Many people I’ve asked if they’d consider running for city council or a hospital district seat have instantly ducked behind a branch, whispering “oh, no...” as they disappeared.  I feel the same.


I not only don’t particularly want to be watched, I also don’t really like asking hard questions.  I’m much happier asking soft ones, like “how do you feel about that” and “did you have a good day?” - questions that let the answerer chose what they want to tell me instead of what I have to know.  It’s more respectful of privacy in general and individuals in particular, and respect is something we like to generate more of, not less.


Respect for Lindsay’s residents, however, is where our city fathers and mothers have failed miserably and need remedial work.  Whether it’s the city council procedures, public records requests, or staff plans (everything from what to build to where to put a stop sign,) what the public wants and needs always takes a back seat.  


Gaining respect for the public’s needs and desires is what all this watchdog/rabble rousing effort has really been about.  If we’re going to have a small town where we can live our lives in peace, we’re going to have to stop ducking behind branches and start respectfully asking hard questions until we get answers that serve us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment